Ingredients for 8 Scones:
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, and some for surface
- Zest of 2 lemons (we like them really lemon-y)
- ½ cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Juice from ½ lemon
- 1¼ cups heavy cream, and more for brushing
For the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 lemon, zest finely grated
Preheat oven to 375°. Whisk sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and 3 cups flour in a large bowl to combine. Add the lemon zest and whisk all together with the flour mixture. Add butter and toss to coat. Using your fingers work butter into flour until only pea-size pieces remain.
Make a well in the center of the flour mix in the bowl, add egg, lemon juice and 1¼ cups cream and mix with a fork, incorporating dry ingredients a little at a time until a shaggy dough forms. Lightly knead dough in bowl until it just comes together. Don't overwork the dough. It'll look a little dry...totally normal.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a 1 inch thick round. Cut into 8 wedges and transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet. Brush the dough with cream. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
While the scones are in the oven make the glaze. Mix the lemon juice with the confectioners' until dissolved in a heatproof bowl and microwave for 30 seconds to a minute. Whisk in the butter and lemon zest. Microwave for another the glaze for 30 seconds. Whisk the glaze to smooth out any lumps
Drizzle the glaze on the scones and let the glaze set a minute before serving. Enjoy!